This church, originally built in the ancient fortress of Babylon in Old Cairo around 4th century AD, derives its name from its location suspended above two Roman gate towers.
Located in the Citadel, this mosque was built between 1824 and 1857 in the Ottoman style by Mohammad Ali Pasha, a ruler of Egypt.
Stretching for 4,187 miles, the longest river in the world flows from its major source, Lake Victoria in east central Africa, through Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia and northwards into Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea.
After the Muslims conquered Egypt in 641 AD, they built their city, Al-Fustat, on what is now the southern border of modern Cairo. Today, this section of the city contains many important sites including the Mosque of Sultan Hassan, Mosque of al-Azhar and the Khan al-Khalili market, which is considered the heart of this area.
This is considered one of Egypt's largest and oldest mosques, which was built between AD 876 and AD 879 by an Abbasid governor sent from Baghdad to rule over Egypt.
The oldest university in the world is built around this ancient mosque, which has been the center of Islamic scholarship since 975 AD.
Once known as the Roman stronghold of Babylon, Cairo’s oldest section is the ancient heart of the Coptic Christian community featuring five original churches, the first mosque built in Egypt and the oldest synagogue, all representing three of the major world religions.
Cairo's main street which recently became pedestrian only is filled with historic sites.
This museum features the items of antiquity collected by John Gayer-Anderson, a British member of the Egyptian civil service in the 1930s and ‘40s, who restored two adjacent 16th- and 17th-century houses decorated with mashrabiyya screens and marble inlays.
This famous museum houses the world’s largest collection of ancient Egyption artifacts (more than 120,000 items on display) featuring the famous Tutankhamun collection with its beautiful gold death mask and sarcophagus and the royal Mummy room, which houses an additional eleven Pharaonic dignitaries.