The historical background of this temple is as follows:The Mercedarios were the first order in the city going back to approximately 1557.However, In 1580, it hosted the First Provisional Cathedral of Santiago Del Estero as the Mother Church was destroyed.The flooding from the Rio Dulce back in 1628 took with them the first building and a new temple was built in the same location of where it is today. In 1817, a strong earthquake hit the city and collapsed and again it was built, but in 1824, two years after the inauguration and because edilicias failures, collapsed, but in 1823, it had ordered the suppression of the Order of Mercy to be a single parent, having been auctioned property. Furthermore, the congregation knew the santiagueña guard and maintained respect and love for his church and later a new building took shape with the support of Governor Ibarra who was a devotee of the Virgin. The same was inaugurated back on September 24, 1836. Incredibly, the following year a fire left it in ruins. It was finally rebuilt in 1851 and renovated in the mid-twentieth century, performing ongoing maintenance on it as usual.On February 24, 1942 it was declared a National Historic Landmark, according to Decree No. 112,099.The temple has a single nave, with masonry walls painted white. The roof and tile roof are supported by a wooden structure inside. The courtyard is raised regarding the sidewalk and guarded by bars.On the walls of the front there are numerous plaques referring to religious and historical facts. There is also a bust by sculptor Robert Delgado, of General Manuel Belgrano whose mother’s family was originally from Santiago del Estero.The main facade is neoclassical, with a strong influence of traditional architecture. It has a round bell tower with three bells, the oldest dating back from 1739.It has a single door on which there is a triangular pediment which highlights a wrought iron cross and shield of the Order of Mercy.For a time the remains of Governor Juan Felipe Ibarra rested on this lot, but in 1875, his grave was desecrated, being moved to a secret place which even today is unknown.Inside are the magnificent stained glass highlights, along with carved confessionals. It is the image of the Virgen De La Merced along with a wooden baton ITIN which were both donated by Governor Juan Felipe Ibarra.There are also the Christ of the Holy Sepulchre who is also called Reclining Christ which is an ancient polychrome-size image which traditionally chairs the Friday procession at Easter and several images dear to the Catholic people Santiagueño feel like St. Jude, Our Lady of Sorrows, Jesus Nazareno, San Ramon Nonato, the Christ of Health and San Pedro Nolasco.